In an area known for incredible oysters, no place on the coast is more connected to the oyster business than Wellfleet. The shellfishing traditions here are as deep as the area’s history, going back centuries. Once a year, the Wellfleet Oyster Fest honors the lives and livelihood that continue to thrive along the coast of Cape Cod.
The annual Wellfleet Oyster Fest, scheduled for October 13-14, 2018, is a community-wide celebration of our favorite mollusk. It’s a festive weekend of food, art, music, games, and educational activities sponsored by Wellfleet SPAT (Shellfish Promotion and Tasting, Inc.), a non-profit organization devoted to sustaining the local shellfishing and aquaculture industries. To date, the organization has given more that$458,000 back to the community through grant awards, scholarships, and other initiatives.
Main Street Wellfleet is the center of activity for Oyster Fest weekend, and it’s here where you’ll find activities for all ages. Here are a few of the highlights:
- More than 70 select artisans and artists showing a wide range of creative works
- An Oyster Shucking Contest, the most popular attraction!
- Local cuisine, including raw bars, chowders, traditional and creative New England fare
- New England beers and ales
- Music ranging from bluegrass to rock
- Educational talks and hands-on exhibits
- A special children’s area with crafts, an obstacle course, and more
Wellfleet Oyster Fest
October 13-14, 2018
Main Street in Wellfleet, MA
Tickets: $10/day (food and retail items priced separately)
Saturday: 10:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
Sunday: 9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
Plan to stay with us at Whalewalk Inn & Spa you’ll be just 15 minutes from all the activities, yet far enough away to relax in a quiet and peaceful setting. Call today to book your stay!